gum disease treatment in jacksonville, florida
Gum disease, or periodontal disease, is an oral bacteria that cause issues to the gum and teeth. If a patient does not brush or floss properly, it can cause plaque growth that is harmful to their oral health. At Normandy Dentistry, our expert team helps patients to treat or prevent plaque build-up, and gives you your smile back. Call us today to schedule an appointment!schedule your consultation
what causes gum disease?
Plaque build-up from poor brushing or flossing is the leading cause of gum disease. However, patients can still have the disease even if they are brushing and flossing correctly. Other factors that can contribute are:
- Family History- Sometimes it is just a patients genetics that cause issues to the gums leading to gingivitis and disease.
- Hormones- During periods when hormones are changing rapidly (pregnancy, menopause, etc.) the gums can become more sensitive, which makes them more prone to disease.
- Medications-Medications can cause dry mouth, extra salivation, or extra growth of gum tissue. If you have questions about how your medication can cause gum disease, please talk to your prescribing doctor about the medications side-effects.
call us at (904) 615-5853 or submit contact form below
how do you prevent gum disease?
There are quite a number of reasons why patients and doctors alike have dental implants as their top tooth-replacement option. Here are just some of their advantages:
- The best way to prevent gum disease is to prevent plaque build-up. Brushing for two to three minutes two-times daily, and routine flossing will prevent plaque build-up and keep your gums healthy.
- Lifestyle changes, such as eating healthier, can provide nutrients and vitamins to help build strong teeth. Avoiding harmful foods (foods with high levels of potassium) will help decrease the chance of bacterial growth.
- Most importantly, making and attending routine dental appointments can help prevent plaque build-up, and catch issues before they arise.